Wednesday, April 7, 2010

SS Chapters 17-19

Mr. Pope has come to Widge's rescue--again. Why is he helping him? The swordfighting in Shakespeare's day was very complicated and interesting. It reminds me of special effects and violence in today's movies: a sure way to draw a crowd that doesn't appreciate the wit and wisdom of Shakespeare's words....Nick, in my opinion, is a stereotypical jerk. Do you find him three-dimensional, or a caricature of a bully? I think Blackwood could have done a better job of developing his minor characters because I find they're pretty flat--and in some cases, difficult to tell apart.

So Widge finds the chest with the scripts. Do you think the script of Hamlet will be in there? Mr. Heminges seems nice, too. Do you think it's realistic that these men are mentoring Widge? After all, he's just another mouth to feed... Has anyone done any research yet into actors in Shakespeare's day? Were they respected? Was the profession considered a noble one?

Forsooth!

Ms. Gertz

4 comments:

  1. Chapter 17-19 were really good to me because it was almost scary when Falconer leaped out of know where and told Widge to finish the job or else he would be back. But still sadly he did not want to betray his loyal friends, not that it was the right thing to do but at least he is a little compassionate about his friends. I agree with you Mrs. Gertz when you say that Nick is a stereotypical Jerk. Sadly I did not find anything really interesting to report on. I am glad that Widge had his first time on a real stage and all but he really needs to give Falconer the script and go back to his newly found friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chapters 17-19 were very exciting with Falconer jumping Widge. I don't agree with you Connor when you say that he needs to give Falconer the script. He shouldn't betray his friends like that. He should tell someone about what's going on and see if they believe him. Then they can stand up to Falconer and he can get on with his acting career. It's harder to do but it will be better in the end. I couldn't find anything that was related to the chapters as a link but you didn't put a link Ms. Gertz...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I also agree that Widge is at a crossroad in his life. He has two options, to obey Falconer and deliver the play, or stay with the actors and learn how to become one of them. Widge's scenario reminds me of Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken" http://www.bartleby.com/119/1.html

    Also I think it is very interesting how when Nick told them he was drinking and playing poker, It wasn't that big of a deal. I think this is because back then, they had no information about the dangers of Alcohol. Also when it stated that Nick was gambling and drinking, It made me wonder why gambling is illegal until the age of 21 in modern day society. So I did some research and I found out that gambling leads to more crime because most of the time you are in debt. http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/gambling.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to link, David. That's the power of blogging: making connections and helping your readers make connections!! I hope none of my 7th graders ever fall under the influence of alcohol or gambling. You "guys" (remember the etymology of that word?) are too smart for that!!

    ReplyDelete